Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default ID My Apples Tree No.3

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , echinosum.8d54eb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

bigjohnuk;934883 Wrote:
Can anyone give me the name for this apple tree and apples please.

Cooking or eating?

None of them quite look like a Bramley, which must comprise about 99% of
the cookers grown in Britain. Bramley tends to have a rather deep
flower-end to the apple, and a sticky surface. But there is a simple
test for a cooker, taste them when they seem to be ready to pick, and if
they are uneatably acid, then they are cookers.

FWIW

Pie Apples/Cooking Apples (usu. Northern Spy when I was a kid) were tart
but not acid and had solid, crisp flesh. Crab apples were sour,
sometimes running to bitter, but not acid.

I don't think I've ever experienced an apple that I would call acidic.
-- Acidic IME belongs to citrus or pineapple and the like.

Sound like one of the English cider apples. I don't believe anyone other
than a very experienced apple collector could possibly ID an apple other
that the common varieties. 200 years ago there were thousands of different
apples, every seed that sprouts potentially a different apple. They don't
come true to seed!