Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default ID My Apples Tree No.3

In article ,
says...

Pie Apples/Cooking Apples (usu. Northern Spy when I was a kid) were tart
but not acid and had solid, crisp flesh. Crab apples were sour,
sometimes running to bitter, but not acid.

I don't think I've ever experienced an apple that I would call acidic.
-- Acidic IME belongs to citrus or pineapple and the like.

Sound like one of the English cider apples. I don't believe anyone other
than a very experienced apple collector could possibly ID an apple other
that the common varieties. 200 years ago there were thousands of different
apples, every seed that sprouts potentially a different apple. They don't
come true to seed!

Ah... Live and learn.

In Canada when I was growing up, there were three varieties of apple
widely available as well as the wild things we called crab apples that
made a very good jelly.

There may have been such things as cider apples but... apple cider was
more of a legend than reality.