Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Raspberry problem

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 10:13 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
Two years ago, we bought six raspberry bushes for the lottie - 3 summer
fruiting and 3 autumn fruiting. They arrived at the wrong time [for us]
and
got heeled into the nursery bed for the winter, autumns closest to the
path,
summer closest to the fence.

Last spring my plot partner planted them in two beds. When I asked which
were which, she looked blank, then admitted she'd planted the three
strongest looking in one bed and the other three in the other one. Last
summer/autumn they didn't do much.

This year, I thought I'd be able to sort them out by when they started
fruiting. Not a bit of it! Apart from one which is still thinking about
sticking around, they all started fruiting at once and are still going
strong.

My problem is, how do I prune them? As they have all [bar the still
thinking one] produced lots of new growth this year, should I treat them
all
as summer fruiting?

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year

Thanks Dave and Jake, that's what I was thinking, but needed a bit of
confirmation!

--
Kathy