Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default crabapples

I went to my favorite crabapple tree today; the only Dolgo that I've
found in the whole city. It's along the driveway to the water
department treatment plant. Some idiot pruned it.

Looks like they sent a teenager out there with a chainsaw and told him
to cut off all the branches he could reach and just leave the trunk.
Everything below about 6' was cut. I'm pretty tall, so I was able to
pick maybe a gallon before it started raining. If they hadn't pruned
it, I could have filled a 5 gallon bucket in the same time.

Not sure whether to go back out tomorrow with a stepladder or not.
There's not a whole lot of fruit on it.

There are crabapple trees planted everywhere around here, but this is
the only one that actually bears fruit worth picking. The rest are
mostly pea-sized, hard, and flavorless.

-Bob