Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

Default crabapples

I went to my favorite crabapple tree today; the only Dolgo that I've
found in the whole city. It's along the driveway to the water
department treatment plant. Some idiot pruned it.

Looks like they sent a teenager out there with a chainsaw and told him
to cut off all the branches he could reach and just leave the trunk.
Everything below about 6' was cut. I'm pretty tall, so I was able to
pick maybe a gallon before it started raining. If they hadn't pruned
it, I could have filled a 5 gallon bucket in the same time.

Not sure whether to go back out tomorrow with a stepladder or not.
There's not a whole lot of fruit on it.

There are crabapple trees planted everywhere around here, but this is
the only one that actually bears fruit worth picking. The rest are
mostly pea-sized, hard, and flavorless.

-Bob
Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

OMG, that is such a shame...glad you were able to get some though...
Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

Mimi wrote:
OMG, that is such a shame...glad you were able to get some though...

Thanks. I juiced these tonight and I think I got just enough to make
one batch of jelly if I use Certo. (I could just add sugar and boil it
down, but that wouldn't yield very much.) I got about 6 or 7 cups of
juice but it's watered-down a bit from the steam juicer. I'll boil that
down to 5 cups to get it back to full strength then make the jelly.

One batch of jelly is easily a year supply, it just doesn't give me any
extra to give away :-( I guess I can make plum or apricot jam for that...

-Bob
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

OMG, that is such a shame...glad you were able to get some though...

Thanks. I juiced these tonight and I think I got just enough to make
one batch of jelly if I use Certo. (I could just add sugar and boil it
down, but that wouldn't yield very much.) I got about 6 or 7 cups of
juice but it's watered-down a bit from the steam juicer. I'll boil that
down to 5 cups to get it back to full strength then make the jelly.

One batch of jelly is easily a year supply, it just doesn't give me any
extra to give away :-( I guess I can make plum or apricot jam for that...

You can plant your own crabapple tree(s). You'd also get a lot more
and much superior fruit from a tree planted in good soil rather than
surrounded by pavement, that you water, fertilize, prune, and tend to
yourself.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

On Sep 4, 7:33*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

OMG, that is such a shame...glad you were able to get some though...

Thanks. *I juiced these tonight and I think I got just enough to make
one batch of jelly if I use Certo. *(I could just add sugar and boil it
down, but that wouldn't yield very much.) *I got about 6 or 7 cups of
juice but it's watered-down a bit from the steam juicer. *I'll boil that
down to 5 cups to get it back to full strength then make the jelly.

One batch of jelly is easily a year supply, it just doesn't give me any
extra to give away :-( *I guess I can make plum or apricot jam for that...

You can plant your own crabapple tree(s). *You'd also get a lot more
and much superior fruit from a tree planted in good soil rather than
surrounded by pavement, that you water, fertilize, prune, and tend to
yourself.

That is too bad, I'm sorry! My parents have issues with their
neighbors taking all their apples without asking and it's frustrating
as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

In article
,

zxcvbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

[...]

I put a sign on the lawn inviting people to pick and eat our apples...
Old 13-09-2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens

On Sep 3, 3:02*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I went to my favorite crabapple tree today; the only Dolgo that I've
found in the whole city. *It's along the driveway to the water
department treatment plant. *Some idiot pruned it.

Looks like they sent a teenager out there with a chainsaw and told him
to cut off all the branches he could reach and just leave the trunk.
Everything below about 6' was cut. *I'm pretty tall, so I was able to
pick maybe a gallon before it started raining. *If they hadn't pruned
it, I could have filled a 5 gallon bucket in the same time.

Not sure whether to go back out tomorrow with a stepladder or not.
There's not a whole lot of fruit on it.

There are crabapple trees planted everywhere around here, but this is
the only one that actually bears fruit worth picking. *The rest are
mostly pea-sized, hard, and flavorless.

-Bob

That is so sad!

[IMG] code is On

planting crabapples in dec/jan in DC? [email protected] Gardening 1 29-12-2005 03:01 PM
[IBC] crabapples! Craig Cowing Bonsai 10 25-05-2005 02:25 AM
Advice needed - Planting Crabapples with graft underground. XDeus Gardening 11 01-04-2004 07:46 AM