Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default OT - reclaiming bricks

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:11:22 -0500, "JIP"
wrote:

I know this isn't really on topic for this group, but I'm sure there
will be people here who can point me in the right direction because it
is related.

I just finished taking down a brick wall on the front of my house
because it was leaning dangerously over the pavement - I discovered it
was badly constructed, but also had roots growing through it and
between the layers of bricks, from a shrub that a predecessor had
planted all along it to make a hedge. Anyway I've pulled the hedge out
and now want to rebuild the wall using the same bricks.

I've been chiselling away with lump hammer and bolster chisel to remove
the mortar, but have decided to try to find if I can hire some sort of
electric chisel device because there are a LOT of bricks. I'd rather
re-use them because they will be in keeping with almost identical walls
in the immediate vicinity (probably 1930s imperial size bricks).

However, once the mortar is removed, is there anything else I can use
to clean them up more?

Thanks

You might try posting your question in uk.d-i-y but AFAIK, a lot will
depend on the "quality" of bricks. If they are 1930s, using any sort
of power tool on them is more likely to disintegrate the bricks than
to remove the mortar. I don't think there is any way other than the
time-consuming process using a wide bolster chisel and hammer.

If by cleaning you mean removing any remaining stains after you've got
the mortar off, then something like patio cleaner will do a decent
job, maybe soaking the bricks in a bucket-full of it and then going
over them with a scrubbing brush or lay them out and use a pressure
washer. If you do that, I'd suggest a vario-lance rather than a
blaster attachment (those are the Karcher terms), again to avoid any
damage to old bricks.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk