Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - reclaiming bricks

I know this isn't really on topic for this group, but I'm sure there
will be people here who can point me in the right direction because it
is related.

I just finished taking down a brick wall on the front of my house
because it was leaning dangerously over the pavement - I discovered it
was badly constructed, but also had roots growing through it and
between the layers of bricks, from a shrub that a predecessor had
planted all along it to make a hedge. Anyway I've pulled the hedge out
and now want to rebuild the wall using the same bricks.

I've been chiselling away with lump hammer and bolster chisel to remove
the mortar, but have decided to try to find if I can hire some sort of
electric chisel device because there are a LOT of bricks. I'd rather
re-use them because they will be in keeping with almost identical walls
in the immediate vicinity (probably 1930s imperial size bricks).

However, once the mortar is removed, is there anything else I can use
to clean them up more?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:11:22 -0500, "JIP"
wrote:

[...]

You might try posting your question in uk.d-i-y but AFAIK, a lot will
depend on the "quality" of bricks. If they are 1930s, using any sort
of power tool on them is more likely to disintegrate the bricks than
to remove the mortar. I don't think there is any way other than the
time-consuming process using a wide bolster chisel and hammer.

If by cleaning you mean removing any remaining stains after you've got
the mortar off, then something like patio cleaner will do a decent
job, maybe soaking the bricks in a bucket-full of it and then going
over them with a scrubbing brush or lay them out and use a pressure
washer. If you do that, I'd suggest a vario-lance rather than a
blaster attachment (those are the Karcher terms), again to avoid any
damage to old bricks.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/09/2011 16:11, JIP wrote:
[...]

I've seen the pros use a large brick trowel to knock off the old mortar.
They just hold the brick in one hand and whack it precisely on the
joint. As with all whacking it's to do with impact rather than how hard
you hit it A bolster is just too fat
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JIP" wrote in news:xn0hioak2ewew9000
@text.usenet.plus.net:

[...]

A scutch is an effective tool for your task.
You will already have found that some bricks are easy to de-mortar, and
some aren't. And if you are laying these bricks you will find it neccessary
to have a clean product.
Good luck and best wishes.

Baz
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered User

You could hire or buy from £50 a SDS drill. Most of them have a 'rotor stop' function so they can operate on hammer only and can be used with a chisel bit to remove mortar.

You can buy Brick Cleaner from a builders merchants. It's mostly acid which dissolves lime stains. It all depends how clean you want the bricks to be, some folks like the look of old, reclaimed bricks.

Good luck with the project

Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

We did something similar many years ago to reclaim some 100yr-old
bricks for use in a fireplace hearth and surround. Much nicer than
machine made new ones. We used the hammer-and-chisel approach,
followed by immersion and wire brush scrubbing in brick acid. B&Q sell
it in 5l red plastic containers, but I guess most DIY or builders'
merchants stock it. You will probably need er... several. It may make
a difference as to whether the mortar is lime mortar (probably fairly
easy to dissolve), or more usual cement mortar (probably less easily
dissolved). As Jake said, ask on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup.

I don't envy you having to do a lot! But do you really need to,
bearing in mind it's only the edges that are exposed; the faces where
the mortar is/was, will just get covered in fresh mortar and won't be
seen, apart from the top row, and not even there if you place the
bricks on edge.

Be aware that brick acid is fairly strong hydrochloric acid, so needs
reasonable precautions when using it, like good thick rubber gloves
and goggles, as well as something to keep the acid off your clothes.
You'll probably get through several wire brushes as well.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales- Hide quoted text -

As it's a garden wall I wouldn't wory to much, get off all you can, if
it's bonded so well with the brick that you can't shift it then it's
not suddenly going to fall of when you re build.
Leaving the bricks as they are they will look more in keeping, and
won't look phony
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 11:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

As it's a garden wall I wouldn't wory to much, get off all you can, if
it's bonded so well with the brick that you can't shift it then it's
not suddenly going to fall of when you re build.
Leaving the bricks as they are they will look more in keeping, and
won't look phony

To an extent you're right, Dave. But if there's a layer of mortar left
on one brick but not on the next, the wall will soon become a bit
undulating. This is a front wall, not a back one where the undulation
might actually be a welcome decorative feature. It the OP wants to
achieve the effect which his post indicates, he really has to get back
to brick.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 3, 4:11*pm, "JIP" wrote:
[...]

Some mortar is a lot easier to come off than others. If it's not a
money issue and you have the difficult stuff, bricks to match will be
available at a price, even imperial ones.
Bricks from garden walls are often frost damaged/weakened too.
Especially old ones when the technology was not well understood.
Power tools are not much help in my experience, they either smash/
damage the brick or are too difficult to control.
If you are wanting to put the wall back as before, it will not be
possible to use the old ones, some are bound to be damaged & therfore
rejects.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 4, 7:37*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 3, 4:11*pm, "JIP" wrote:

[...]

rejects.- Hide quoted text -

BTW, it's good practice to put a few courses of engineering bricks at
ground level & slightly above to keep damp out in garden walls. Helps
prevent frost damage.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the replies folks

The bricks appear to be good quality, and in good condition on the
whole. I was hit by the idea of not cleaning up the whole of each brick
because only some surfaces will be visible. Obvious once it's pointed
out!

Will be trying out a powered chisel to see if the bricks stand up to
it. I'm going to rebuild a fraction shorter than previously, but two
courses lower as well, so it won't be critical if I only have a few
losses.

Also, the lower courses were based on engineering bricks, so I will be
re-using those for sure.

Thanks again

JIP

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Sep 4, 2:25*pm, "JIP" wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks

The bricks appear to be good quality, and in good condition on the
whole. I was hit by the idea of not cleaning up the whole of each brick
because only some surfaces will be visible. Obvious once it's pointed
out!

Will be trying out a powered chisel to see if the bricks stand up to
it. I'm going to rebuild a fraction shorter than previously, but two
courses lower as well, so it won't be critical if I only have a few
losses.

Also, the lower courses were based on engineering bricks, so I will be
re-using those for sure.

Thanks again

JIP

plus if you want you can add a small number of a contrasting colour
for decoration

NT
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:11:22 -0500, "JIP"
wrote:

[snipped]
You might try posting your question in uk.d-i-y

Or subscribe to 'Over the Gate' http://overthegate.myfreeforum.org/;
an excellent forum for all sorts of craft and rural matters.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Reclaiming wasteland Phenz Lawns 0 16-06-2011 02:30 PM
Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf] Bill who putters Edible Gardening 9 04-06-2010 09:41 PM
Reclaiming a Tree From Ivy Treers Gardening 3 15-11-2004 11:36 PM
RECLAIMING A TANK FROM ALGAE Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 06-03-2004 06:10 PM