Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default OT - reclaiming bricks

On 03/09/2011 16:11, JIP wrote:
I know this isn't really on topic for this group, but I'm sure there
will be people here who can point me in the right direction because it
is related.

I just finished taking down a brick wall on the front of my house
because it was leaning dangerously over the pavement - I discovered it
was badly constructed, but also had roots growing through it and
between the layers of bricks, from a shrub that a predecessor had
planted all along it to make a hedge. Anyway I've pulled the hedge out
and now want to rebuild the wall using the same bricks.

I've been chiselling away with lump hammer and bolster chisel to remove
the mortar, but have decided to try to find if I can hire some sort of
electric chisel device because there are a LOT of bricks. I'd rather
re-use them because they will be in keeping with almost identical walls
in the immediate vicinity (probably 1930s imperial size bricks).

However, once the mortar is removed, is there anything else I can use
to clean them up more?

Thanks

I've seen the pros use a large brick trowel to knock off the old mortar.
They just hold the brick in one hand and whack it precisely on the
joint. As with all whacking it's to do with impact rather than how hard
you hit it A bolster is just too fat