Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default OT - reclaiming bricks

On Sep 3, 5:17*pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:11:22 -0500, "JIP"

wrote:
I know this isn't really on topic for this group, but I'm sure there
will be people here who can point me in the right direction because it
is related.

I just finished taking down a brick wall on the front of my house
because it was leaning dangerously over the pavement - I discovered it
was badly constructed, but also had roots growing through it and
between the layers of bricks, from a shrub that a predecessor had
planted all along it to make a hedge. Anyway I've pulled the hedge out
and now want to rebuild the wall using the same bricks.

I've been chiselling away with lump hammer and bolster chisel to remove
the mortar, but have decided to try to find if I can hire some sort of
electric chisel device because there are a LOT of bricks. I'd rather
re-use them because they will be in keeping with almost identical walls
in the immediate vicinity (probably 1930s imperial size bricks).

However, once the mortar is removed, is there anything else I can use
to clean them up more?

Thanks

We did something similar many years ago to reclaim some 100yr-old
bricks for use in a fireplace hearth and surround. Much nicer than
machine made new ones. We used the hammer-and-chisel approach,
followed by immersion and wire brush scrubbing in brick acid. B&Q sell
it in 5l red plastic containers, but I guess most DIY or builders'
merchants stock it. You will probably need er... several. It may make
a difference as to whether the mortar is lime mortar (probably fairly
easy to dissolve), or more usual cement mortar (probably less easily
dissolved). As Jake said, ask on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup.

I don't envy you having to do a lot! But do you really need to,
bearing in mind it's only the edges that are exposed; the faces where
the mortar is/was, will just get covered in fresh mortar and won't be
seen, apart from the top row, and not even there if you place the
bricks on edge.

Be aware that brick acid is fairly strong hydrochloric acid, so needs
reasonable precautions when using it, like good thick rubber gloves
and goggles, as well as something to keep the acid off your clothes.
You'll probably get through several wire brushes as well.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales- Hide quoted text -

As it's a garden wall I wouldn't wory to much, get off all you can, if
it's bonded so well with the brick that you can't shift it then it's
not suddenly going to fall of when you re build.
Leaving the bricks as they are they will look more in keeping, and
won't look phony