Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwhipps View Post
hi all,
i am designing and creating a greenhouse for my A2 DT coursework, and wanted to get peoples views on anything that is irritating or unhelpful about current greenhouse models, and any additional features that could be added to greenhouses to make them easier to use, or to make flora growth or more efficient, or more inclusive.
the greenhouse is for a flat garden, with less than a 3 metre squared base area, however the greenhouse is going to fold together, similar to an airiing device for clothing, so that the space could be used for other activities rather than a permanent greenhouse. if anyone has any tips or thoughts about this, and any specific views or tips about gardening in small spaces, then comments would be much appreciated.
Down here in Cornwall we even have substantial, well constructed greenhouses that just 'blow away' in gales from time to time, so I cant see how a folding version could ever be strong enough ? If you make it light enough to be folded, it would never be strong enough to stand much wind.
Incidentally, you might find it interesting to note that most damage to these structures comes from the downwind side from the 'vacuum effect' literally sucking the glass into the air ? which is why the ground fixing must be both very secure and also heavy enough to combat this effect.
I have replaced literally hundreds of these damaged greenhouses and am always amazed by how differently they have been damaged depending on the placement and siting of adjacent buildings etc and how these buildings create strange and often very violent turbulence !
You must also know that most structures, whilst initially sound and of good strong construction become very weak if flying debris breaks any glass allowing the wind inside.
I fear that whilst you may think you have a sensible and sound idea, in practice personally, I dont think its a feasible propsition !
Lannerman.