Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Fly resistant carrotts

"Peter James" wrote ...

I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

After years of similar problems we now grow ours in a 50 gal plastic water
tank filled with bought compost (even Growbag stuff lasts a few years).
After using it pushed up against other tall stuff the carrots still got fly
but placing it in the middle of our plot on it's own seems to stop the fly
flying up into it. This years carrots are the best we have ever grown and so
far not a sign of fly. We also planted Flyaway and Resistafly, given up on
our own "Chertsey Carrot" for the time being although they do have more
taste.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.