Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fly resistant carrotts

I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1k760tl.rvq8h7lwluw6N%pfjames2000@googlemail. com...
I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

Yes, and with the same results as you. I think "resistant" means "slightly
resistant, if you're lucky". A bit like the thornless gooseberries (Pax)
that we bought, only to find out later that the small print said "almost
thornless" A couple of seasons on, and they're just as spiky as any other.
But I digress.

The best results we have had with carrots has been by growing the first
sowings in pots at home rather than on the allotment, and not sowing the
main ones until late May.

Steve

Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Peter James) wrote in
news:1k760tl.rvq8h7lwluw6N%pfjames2000@googlemail. com:

I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

Peter

Peter,
I had carrot fly the first 2 years I have grown them.
"Flyaway" were as bad as the others.
The only thing that stops them is to make a wooden frame at least 2' high
and cover the 4 sides, but not the top, with clear polythene. It really
works and this is my second year doing it this way.
The theory is that the fly doesn't fly high and hugs the ground. It works
for me so I will keep on until the little bugger evolves to fly higher.
Earlier this year I sowed inside my frame and also a few on open soil, no
thinning, and the open soil ones were riddled with the fly grub wheras the
ones in the frame are spotless.
BTW I used Autumn King this year, they proved to be the best for me last
year

The frame as you can imagine needs to be sturdy because when covered with
polythene the winds knock it about a great deal. I used 38mm by 25mm rock
laths (because they are Tanalised) and braced every corner with the same
timber. Heavy guage Polythene too. Should last for years. Is it all worth
the time and money? Yes I think so if only for the superb taste of freshly
dug carrots. Nothing like shop bought tasteless ones.

Hope this helps.
Baz

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Peter James wrote:
I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

I think it's one of the ones we've tried, but haven't had great germination
from. I've found the more traditional deterent of growing with alliums and
marigolds has worked better for me. Although this year all my carrots are
tiny! (could be cos I accidentally sowed chanteray!)

Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote ...

I put in a row of fly resistant carrots from Unwins, variety "Flyaway"
back in June and started to lift them this month.
Alas, every one is affected by carrot fly and some very badly. It
hardly seems worth the expense if this is the result. The seeds cost
about 3 times the cost of ordinary carrot seed, and for what.

Has anyone else on the NG tried this type out before, and with what
results.

After years of similar problems we now grow ours in a 50 gal plastic water
tank filled with bought compost (even Growbag stuff lasts a few years).
After using it pushed up against other tall stuff the carrots still got fly
but placing it in the middle of our plot on it's own seems to stop the fly
flying up into it. This years carrots are the best we have ever grown and so
far not a sign of fly. We also planted Flyaway and Resistafly, given up on
our own "Chertsey Carrot" for the time being although they do have more
taste.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Carrotts Glenda United Kingdom 12 29-07-2004 04:24 PM
Carrotts Glenda United Kingdom 0 28-07-2004 06:29 PM
any help please,,, White fly,,, green fly and black fly gARY United Kingdom 0 30-04-2004 12:10 AM
Disease Resistant/Mildew Resistant Tomato SH United Kingdom 7 04-01-2004 03:52 AM
Fly Away and similar carrots supposedly resistant to root fly Steve Harris United Kingdom 2 02-01-2004 12:12 PM