Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Garden Life Victorian periodical

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:47:27 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
pruned

Ah - took me a couple of reads through to work this out.
So this is a book about gardening by the editor of Garden Life :-)

However you just used the word 'cost' which always scares me.

Anyone know any free resources?

Thanks for the information and the pointer.

Cheers

Dave R

There are two items in the listing, one is for the periodical and the
other is for a book by the editor. Searching the listings is free and
these could give you a fair idea of what is possibly available (such
things as pointers to search on publisher, writers and so on) and the
history of the publication.

Seeing it had been incorporated into another title, I tried a search
on that and found http://tinyurl.com/3jpgkfh for example.

British Library charges for supply of a printout comprise cost of
printing something you want (yes - really steep!) and possibly an
additional copyright fee (this doesn't apply to anything over 100
years old). Alternatively you can apply for a reader's ticket and if
you're lucky go and see the "original" item at the Library's reading
rooms. AFAIK, this is free and by appointment but demand for readers
tickets always outstrips supply.

Fantastic :-)
I will investigate the BL further.
I have also dropped a line to the magazine dealer just in case I have
something of minor value.
If the periodicals are worth £1 a pop this should certainly fund a trip to
Sheffield and back.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]