Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - Garden Life Victorian periodical

Anyone know anything about Garden Life - a Victorian periodical from around
1900?

I recovered some copies from a loft many years ago and now I am trying to
find out about this publication but Google is not being my friend.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:39:37 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Anyone know anything about Garden Life - a Victorian periodical from around
1900?

I recovered some copies from a loft many years ago and now I am trying to
find out about this publication but Google is not being my friend.

Cheers

Dave R

British Library (www.bl.uk) has (for example) these in its catalogue:

---
Title:Garden Life.
Publication Details: London
Uniform Title: Garden Life (London, England : 1901)
Place Name: London
Identifier: System number 013925715
Notes: Incorporated with "Garden Work for Amateurs".
Creation Date: 1901
---
Title:“Garden Life” Pictorial Guide to Gardening: being the whole art
of gardening graphically described. Upwards of 200 illustrations. By
the editor of “Garden Life.” [Signed: W. F. M.]
Author:W. F. M.
Publication Details: pp. viii. 259. Cable Printing & Publishing Co.:
London, [1907.]
Identifier: System number: 002300184
Creation Date: 1907
Physical Description: 8º.
Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 07029.h.25.
---

I only looked at the first page of the listing. If you register with
the Library you should be able to access the publications at whatever
the cost is.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Author:W. F. M.
Publication Details: pp. viii. 259. Cable Printing & Publishing Co.:
London, [1907.]
Identifier: System number: 002300184
Creation Date: 1907
Physical Description: 8º.
Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 07029.h.25.
---

I only looked at the first page of the listing. If you register with
the Library you should be able to access the publications at whatever
the cost is.

Ah - took me a couple of reads through to work this out.
So this is a book about gardening by the editor of Garden Life :-)

However you just used the word 'cost' which always scares me.

Anyone know any free resources?

Thanks for the information and the pointer.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:47:27 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
pruned

Ah - took me a couple of reads through to work this out.
So this is a book about gardening by the editor of Garden Life :-)

However you just used the word 'cost' which always scares me.

Anyone know any free resources?

Thanks for the information and the pointer.

Cheers

Dave R

There are two items in the listing, one is for the periodical and the
other is for a book by the editor. Searching the listings is free and
these could give you a fair idea of what is possibly available (such
things as pointers to search on publisher, writers and so on) and the
history of the publication.

Seeing it had been incorporated into another title, I tried a search
on that and found http://tinyurl.com/3jpgkfh for example.

British Library charges for supply of a printout comprise cost of
printing something you want (yes - really steep!) and possibly an
additional copyright fee (this doesn't apply to anything over 100
years old). Alternatively you can apply for a reader's ticket and if
you're lucky go and see the "original" item at the Library's reading
rooms. AFAIK, this is free and by appointment but demand for readers
tickets always outstrips supply.

I've just tracked down an old 78 RPM record I needed to complete a set
starting from an online collector's listing (he wanted £28 to copy the
record to a CD). Using a pressing number in his list I located a good
specimen of the record for 75p (though plus a bomb for shipping) and
now have a complete opera.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:47:27 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
pruned

[...]

Fantastic :-)
I will investigate the BL further.
I have also dropped a line to the magazine dealer just in case I have
something of minor value.
If the periodicals are worth £1 a pop this should certainly fund a trip to
Sheffield and back.

Author:W. F. M.
Publication Details: pp. viii. 259. Cable Printing & Publishing Co.:
London, [1907.]
Identifier: System number: 002300184
Creation Date: 1907
Physical Description: 8º.
Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 07029.h.25.
---

Ah - found it now.
Finger trouble - I was searching the website not the main catalogue.
Looks as though they only hold the initial edition.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:dihc679cuo20j7utfjp0uahvhm3peos0b1@
4ax.com:

I've just tracked down an old 78 RPM record I needed to complete a set
starting from an online collector's listing (he wanted £28 to copy the
record to a CD). Using a pressing number in his list I located a good
specimen of the record for 75p (though plus a bomb for shipping) and
now have a complete opera.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

I know what you mean, as a collector.
Similar here.
I ordered a small £1 part for a motorcycle and it all came to £17.59,
needless to say I had to have it and paid. If we want our rare and
unobtainables we will pay through the nose. I now have a complete clutch
for that bike. All I have to do now is pay pay pay for other origional
parts to obtain an MOT certificate. So sad when it comes to this.

Baz