Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Best practice for rotavator use

On Sep 8, 9:43*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30*am, mogga wrote:

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dig or plough the ground. Rotovate to produce a fine tilth if that's
what you want.

Small rotovators only cultivated the top 100/150mm of ground, not
enough for many purposes.

With such a small rotovator you will find it hard to break the
surface, best to get someone in with a machine like a Howard gem.
Breaking new ground is hard on any machine, you would be better to
skin the surface off and rough dig, burying the old grass then
rotovate the dug ground, more work but worth it in the end.