Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Best practice for rotavator use

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:09:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote ...

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?

With grass areas I have always used glyphosate to kill off the weeds/grass
first, often two sprays needed, and then roughly dug the ground by hand.
Only then do I use the rotovator to chop up the lumps and make a tilth. Once
that is done then it will easily cope with the soft ground thereafter and
dig in manure etc.

Two of the lads dug out their entire plot in huge sods and then
rotivated it. The mountain peaks up and down looked really hard work
though!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk