Old 13-09-2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens
[email protected] jacobs_citw150@yahoo.com is offline

Default crabapples

On Sep 3, 3:02*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I went to my favorite crabapple tree today; the only Dolgo that I've
found in the whole city. *It's along the driveway to the water
department treatment plant. *Some idiot pruned it.

Looks like they sent a teenager out there with a chainsaw and told him
to cut off all the branches he could reach and just leave the trunk.
Everything below about 6' was cut. *I'm pretty tall, so I was able to
pick maybe a gallon before it started raining. *If they hadn't pruned
it, I could have filled a 5 gallon bucket in the same time.

Not sure whether to go back out tomorrow with a stepladder or not.
There's not a whole lot of fruit on it.

There are crabapple trees planted everywhere around here, but this is
the only one that actually bears fruit worth picking. *The rest are
mostly pea-sized, hard, and flavorless.

-Bob

That is so sad!