Old 13-09-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default hedychiums!

"Emery Davis" wrote

Jeff Layman wrote:

H. densiflorum "Assam Orange" survived the winter in the ground (Sussex
Weald clay covered with a few cm of granite chippings), about 1.5 m from
the SE wall of the house. One much nearer the house wall (about 30 cm)
bloomed for the first time this year.

Thanks Jeff, thats good to know. I'll try densiflorum in the ground,
but not for a few years. Best to propagate it first.

I've got a bed with an east wall that rarely freezes; although I guess
the question there will be if it gets enough total light. Roses like it
well enough...

I lost mine last year, planted a couple of feet from a S. facing low wall
protected from the East too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.