Old 13-09-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hedychiums!

I've got blooming hedychiums! I must say, I'm very pleased.

Densiflorum with big orange spikes, yunannense is incredibly delicate.

Coronarium and Devon Cream each have multiple buds. The others are
"wait and see" as the French say.

I think I'm going to lop them down at the end of the season and repot in
some much bigger pots. The following winter I'll try and grow them
through in the tunnel.

-E
Old 13-09-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/2011 08:44, Emery Davis wrote:
I've got blooming hedychiums! I must say, I'm very pleased.

Densiflorum with big orange spikes, yunannense is incredibly delicate.

Coronarium and Devon Cream each have multiple buds. The others are
"wait and see" as the French say.

I think I'm going to lop them down at the end of the season and repot in
some much bigger pots. The following winter I'll try and grow them
through in the tunnel.

-E

H. densiflorum "Assam Orange" survived the winter in the ground (Sussex
Weald clay covered with a few cm of granite chippings), about 1.5 m from
the SE wall of the house. One much nearer the house wall (about 30 cm)
bloomed for the first time this year.

--

Jeff
Old 13-09-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 13, 3:44*am, Emery Davis wrote:
I've got blooming hedychiums! *I must say, I'm very pleased.

Densiflorum with big orange spikes, yunannense is incredibly delicate.

Coronarium and Devon Cream each have multiple buds. *The others are
"wait and see" as the French say.

I think I'm going to lop them down at the end of the season and repot in
some much bigger pots. *The following winter I'll try and grow them
through in the tunnel.

-E

I was wondering, what is this group about? Thank you.

Old 13-09-2011, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/13/2011 09:54 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

H. densiflorum "Assam Orange" survived the winter in the ground (Sussex
Weald clay covered with a few cm of granite chippings), about 1.5 m from
the SE wall of the house. One much nearer the house wall (about 30 cm)
bloomed for the first time this year.

Thanks Jeff, thats good to know. I'll try densiflorum in the ground,
but not for a few years. Best to propagate it first.

I've got a bed with an east wall that rarely freezes; although I guess
the question there will be if it gets enough total light. Roses like it
well enough...

Old 13-09-2011, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-13 08:44:57 +0100, Emery Davis said:

I think I'm going to lop them down at the end of the season and repot in
some much bigger pots. The following winter I'll try and grow them
through in the tunnel.

-E

That's what is done here, Emery. The cutting back, I mean and the
potting on, if needed. Slips are taken off at the same time, too and
thus increase the stock. Most of ours are blooming, or starting to now.

Well, I'm not sure my others will bloom. First year after all, I really
didn't expect many to flower. The foliage is very attractive too of
course, esp greenii.

Actually the 4 that went are the ones that never get any shade at all,
any time during the day. Perhaps a factor?

Thanks again to you and Ray, these are beautiful plants.

-E
Old 13-09-2011, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bryan M wrote:
On Sep 13, 3:44=A0am, Emery Davis wrote:
I've got blooming hedychiums! =A0I must say, I'm very pleased.

Densiflorum with big orange spikes, yunannense is incredibly delicate.

Coronarium and Devon Cream each have multiple buds. =A0The others are
"wait and see" as the French say.

I think I'm going to lop them down at the end of the season and repot in
some much bigger pots. =A0The following winter I'll try and grow them
through in the tunnel.

I was wondering, what is this group about? Thank you.

Troll hunting, methods and necessity, mainly. There is a film on
the topic just produced in Norway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
My gardnerianum all survived the cold last winter outdoors and after a
cold May, eventually made strong growth; but no flowers yet. It's always
hit and miss here.. last year they managed a last minute flowering in
October, but I doubt they will this year.

I bought geraniums from plugs this year to sell at the school summer fete,
and most of them flowered, but the plants are tiny.
Old 13-09-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
My gardnerianum all survived the cold last winter outdoors and after a
cold May, eventually made strong growth; but no flowers yet. It's always
hit and miss here.. last year they managed a last minute flowering in
October, but I doubt they will this year.

I bought geraniums from plugs this year to sell at the school summer fete,
and most of them flowered, but the plants are tiny.

That's gardnerianum as in hedychium, as per the header.

So it is, something else to add to my very narrow dyslexilist. I also have
trouble with usernames beginning with I, apparently.

However, the statement itself about my geraniums, whilst out of context, is
still true!
Old 13-09-2011, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

wrote:
However, the statement itself about my geraniums, whilst out of context, is
still true!

At least until someone points out they're probably pelagoniums (sp?)

Old 13-09-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Jeff Layman wrote:

H. densiflorum "Assam Orange" survived the winter in the ground (Sussex
Weald clay covered with a few cm of granite chippings), about 1.5 m from
the SE wall of the house. One much nearer the house wall (about 30 cm)
bloomed for the first time this year.

Thanks Jeff, thats good to know. I'll try densiflorum in the ground,
but not for a few years. Best to propagate it first.

I've got a bed with an east wall that rarely freezes; although I guess
the question there will be if it gets enough total light. Roses like it
well enough...

I lost mine last year, planted a couple of feet from a S. facing low wall
protected from the East too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.