Old 21-09-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Question on strawberry and gooseberry

Wally wrote:
I have a strawberry bed that is getting very overgrown and
needs to be thinned out.
I was thinking of digging the lot up and replanting the best
plants.
My problem is not knowing the best time to do this, is it best
to do it now before the winter or should I wait until the spring ??

That is exactly what I am doing with mine. It's overgrown and the soil
underneath is horrid.

Currently I'm going over with empty pots of soil, finding runners, and
clipping them into the pot (so still attached to original plant).
I think I need about 200, including a bunch to give to my dad, so it's a
long work in progress. I'll leave them in pots until the spring, then
transplant them.