Old 21-09-2011, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Question on strawberry and gooseberry

I have a strawberry bed that is getting very overgrown and
needs to be thinned out.
I was thinking of digging the lot up and replanting the best
plants.
My problem is not knowing the best time to do this, is it best
to do it now before the winter or should I wait until the spring ??

Next question is on my gooseberry bushes, they need to be trimmed
back but I don't know the right time to do this.

Help please.

Wally

Old 21-09-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Wally wrote:
I have a strawberry bed that is getting very overgrown and
needs to be thinned out.
I was thinking of digging the lot up and replanting the best
plants.
My problem is not knowing the best time to do this, is it best
to do it now before the winter or should I wait until the spring ??

That is exactly what I am doing with mine. It's overgrown and the soil
underneath is horrid.

Currently I'm going over with empty pots of soil, finding runners, and
clipping them into the pot (so still attached to original plant).
I think I need about 200, including a bunch to give to my dad, so it's a
long work in progress. I'll leave them in pots until the spring, then
transplant them.

Old 22-09-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Wally wrote:
I have a strawberry bed that is getting very overgrown and
needs to be thinned out.
I was thinking of digging the lot up and replanting the best
plants.
My problem is not knowing the best time to do this, is it best
to do it now before the winter or should I wait until the spring ??

That is exactly what I am doing with mine. It's overgrown and the soil
underneath is horrid.

Currently I'm going over with empty pots of soil, finding runners, and
clipping them into the pot (so still attached to original plant).
I think I need about 200, including a bunch to give to my dad, so it's a
long work in progress. I'll leave them in pots until the spring, then
transplant them.

Thanks Vicky, Do the runners have to be attached or can they be separated
and replanted ??

Wally

Old 22-09-2011, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:53:26 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

Thanks Vicky, Do the runners have to be attached or can they be separated
and replanted ??

I only separate them once its clear that the new plants have put down
decent roots, ie: they poke out of the bottom of the pot.
Runners pegged down in July certainly can be separated
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012
http://2012volunteer.co.uk/
Old 22-09-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Wally wrote:
Currently I'm going over with empty pots of soil, finding runners, and
clipping them into the pot (so still attached to original plant).
I think I need about 200, including a bunch to give to my dad, so it's a
long work in progress. I'll leave them in pots until the spring, then
transplant them.

Thanks Vicky, Do the runners have to be attached or can they be separated
and replanted ??

I'm going to leave them attached for as long as possible, but come spring
I'm moving them 50' that way ---- so they will definitely be chopped free.
You can probably chop them free as soon as they look big enough to thrive on
their own, but that's for you to decide.

Old 23-09-2011, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Thanks Vicky, Do the runners have to be attached or can they be separated
and replanted ??

I only separate them once its clear that the new plants have put down
decent roots, ie: they poke out of the bottom of the pot.
Runners pegged down in July certainly can be separated
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

Thanks Derek

Wally

If you leave the moving till spring then you will reduce next years
crop, if you can move them this month they will do much better next
year as they will have time to settle in and get rooting before the
winter comes.
Old 23-09-2011, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
If you leave the moving till spring then you will reduce next years
crop, if you can move them this month they will do much better next
year as they will have time to settle in and get rooting before the
winter comes.

I will give that some thought, thanks Dave. Althugh I'm hoping I'll still
be getting a crop from the 'old' ones for next year, since I'm only digging
up a row at a time and improving the soil slowly (with beans this year!).
Mind you, this year's crop was poor. :-(
Old 23-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

You could always pot some of the runners for replanting in the spring. They are very hardy and survive just about any weather!

7cm Square Pots with Trays | Pot Tastic
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!