Old 23-09-2011, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

Default Cold Summer

Billy wrote:
With only one day over 90F (July 3) gardeners and agriculturalist have
been dismayed. Now on the 19th (92F), 20th (91F), and 21st (91F) we've
added 3 more days of heat which now has tomatoes ripening for gardeners,
and has set off a tsunami of grapes for local wineries who are now
running 10 - 12 hr./days for employees.

70 miles north of San Francisco

Cold Summer?

For me in Michigan it was one of the hottest and wettest summer. It was
either to hot to work outside for long periods or it was raining. We
usually have a light frost by now and I have not seen it yet. The trees are
still green and I would love to see the fall colors.

Still for me, I have bumper crop of vegetables for preserving. The tomatoes
were in large numbers this year, but were smaller and not as sweet as in
the past. It did rain allot and was very hot. My neighbors had the same
result with their tomatoes, not that sweet also and smaller.

Cold summer? Not here.

Raining outside now and rain in the forecast for next three days

--
Nad