Old 23-09-2011, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cold Summer

With only one day over 90F (July 3) gardeners and agriculturalist have
been dismayed. Now on the 19th (92F), 20th (91F), and 21st (91F) we've
added 3 more days of heat which now has tomatoes ripening for gardeners,
and has set off a tsunami of grapes for local wineries who are now
running 10 - 12 hr./days for employees.

70 miles north of San Francisco
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 23-09-2011, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

Billy wrote:
With only one day over 90F (July 3) gardeners and agriculturalist have
been dismayed. Now on the 19th (92F), 20th (91F), and 21st (91F) we've
added 3 more days of heat which now has tomatoes ripening for gardeners,
and has set off a tsunami of grapes for local wineries who are now
running 10 - 12 hr./days for employees.

70 miles north of San Francisco

Cold Summer?

For me in Michigan it was one of the hottest and wettest summer. It was
either to hot to work outside for long periods or it was raining. We
usually have a light frost by now and I have not seen it yet. The trees are
still green and I would love to see the fall colors.

Still for me, I have bumper crop of vegetables for preserving. The tomatoes
were in large numbers this year, but were smaller and not as sweet as in
the past. It did rain allot and was very hot. My neighbors had the same
result with their tomatoes, not that sweet also and smaller.

Cold summer? Not here.

Raining outside now and rain in the forecast for next three days

--
Nad
Old 24-09-2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

Nad wrote:

Cold summer? Not here.

Here, too. I haven't checked the stats but this summer has seemed pretty
normal to me. Certainly had rainfall amounts closer to normal than in past
few
years. Overnight lows have begun to moderate a bit (74° F last night). I
noticed
the neighbor's tomatoes are holding their blossoms and my new store-bought
fall
tomato plants have begun to blossom, too. Daytime highs are still up there,
though (90° F today).

Our weather was very nice for living, but not for gardening. No point in
mentioning it when the rest of the country was baking in the heat.
Things like Oklahoma City's 51 straight days of 100-degree heat which
broke a 31-year record. Seems like the temps dropped to 99F for a day,
and then shot back into the 100's. At least we got our 100 days between
the grapes flowering and harvest.

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tys-51-days-10
0-degree-heat-breaks-31-year-record.html#ixzz1YpIV8g3x

Old 24-09-2011, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

With only one day over 90F (July 3) gardeners and agriculturalist have
been dismayed. Now on the 19th (92F), 20th (91F), and 21st (91F) we've
added 3 more days of heat which now has tomatoes ripening for gardeners,
and has set off a tsunami of grapes for local wineries who are now
running 10 - 12 hr./days for employees.

70 miles north of San Francisco

not too far from Nad, but much drier
here most of the summer.

only a little light frost so far (enough
to knock out the squash and to start some
of the beans turning). temperatures look
to be holding for at least another week
(if the forecast is right).

tomatoes, pea pods, green peppers,
butter beans, still going.