Old 25-09-2011, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Pepper ID

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:49:17 -0400, Nil
wrote:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

The very dark one could be an immature ancho. The red one with the
little tan striations is a ripe jalopeno (the lines and leathery skin
mean it's ripe). The orange one would likely be a habanero (there are
many types of habanero). The small reds could be tien tsin. There
are hundreds and hundres of pepper variations, and they are prone to
cross pollinate, so it's difficult to say with great accuracy exactly
what pepper comes from a home garden.
http://www.pepperjoe.com/shoppingcart/html/pepper.html