Old 25-09-2011, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pepper ID

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.
Old 25-09-2011, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 9:49*pm, Nil wrote:
An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

as well they should be.

off hand I would say Thai, Jalapeno, Fresno, Hab. maybe a rocotto/
manzano but the first and last could be several type, need a bit more
info. So is this a test or do you need to look them up?

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/p...ppersdict.html
http://www.chileplants.com/
Old 25-09-2011, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:49:17 -0400, Nil
wrote:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

The very dark one could be an immature ancho. The red one with the
little tan striations is a ripe jalopeno (the lines and leathery skin
mean it's ripe). The orange one would likely be a habanero (there are
many types of habanero). The small reds could be tien tsin. There
are hundreds and hundres of pepper variations, and they are prone to
cross pollinate, so it's difficult to say with great accuracy exactly
what pepper comes from a home garden.
http://www.pepperjoe.com/shoppingcart/html/pepper.html
Old 25-09-2011, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nil wrote:
An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

Tabasco, jalapeño, ripe jalapeño, and the last one might be a scotch bonnet.
Old 25-09-2011, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 25 Sep 2011, Nil wrote in
rec.gardens:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can
anyone identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the
others. The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

OK, thanks everybody for the hints. Sounds like there are too many
varieties to be sure, but it looks like the little read ones are Thai
chiles and the orange one is a Habanero. The bigger red one may be a
ripe Jalapeno (I didn't know they got red) but if it is, I bet it's a
slightly different variety than the green one, as it was from a
different plant and the fruit was a little smaller.

And thanks for the pointers to those pepper ID web pages. Very
interesting.

I got these last week from a B&B in Niagara Falls, NY. The owner has a
small patch of pepper plants that were doing really well, and he
invited me to take some with me, so I just grabbed a few of each kind.
I have to say that I don't think the Habaneros will be very useful -
they're just too damn hot to put in many things. I made chili last
night and put a tiny bit in there, and even that small amount made it
borderline too spicy for me. And its essence seems to have soaked into
my fingers, I can still taste it. I can see why I saw some advice to
wear rubber gloves and safety glasses when working with them. Those
things could be dangerous!

Old 25-09-2011, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nil wrote:
On 25 Sep 2011, Nil wrote in
rec.gardens:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can
anyone identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the
others. The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

OK, thanks everybody for the hints. Sounds like there are too many
varieties to be sure, but it looks like the little read ones are Thai
chiles and the orange one is a Habanero. The bigger red one may be a
ripe Jalapeno (I didn't know they got red) but if it is, I bet it's a
slightly different variety than the green one, as it was from a
different plant and the fruit was a little smaller.

The little ones look too blunt to be Thai peppers. I'm pretty sure they
are tabasco peppers. (I have a tabasco plant and those look just like
them) Are they unusually juicy?

-Bob
Old 25-09-2011, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 25 Sep 2011, zxcvbob wrote in rec.gardens:

The little ones look too blunt to be Thai peppers. I'm pretty
sure they are tabasco peppers. (I have a tabasco plant and those
look just like them) Are they unusually juicy?

I don't know about "unusually", but they are rather juicy. I carefully
nibbled on the end of one and was surprised when juice squirted into my
mouth. More than I wanted, really. So, if Thai peppers are dry inside
and Tabascos are juicy, you could be right.
Old 26-09-2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nil wrote:
On 25 Sep 2011, Nil wrote in
rec.gardens:

[...]

I like it when people handle the insides of habaneros with their hands. I
really got into it a couple years ago. My hands gradually started to burn.
I pick them up and take bites. Small at first. The good ones have a great
smell and taste that hits before the hot hits. When you use the habanero,
discard the seeds and white parts, and use small slices of the shell, if
you can't stand the hot.

Most of the peppers have different flavors. My garden didn't do well, but
my two yellow habanero pots did great. My ghost peppers ran out of sun and
heat, but got a couple of outstanding pieces. What smell! The ghost and
jalepino peppers got hit hard with stink bugs. Going to start making dry
pepper.

It does require several washing hands to get rid of the burning and don't
rub your eyes. Knifes and ceramic dishes just require hot water to get the
sting off.

The typical scotch bonnet habanero is around 300k units, the red ones 500k,
and the ghost 1000k

Greg
Old 26-09-2011, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nil wrote:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

Probably Thai, jalapeños, serrano, and habañero, or Scotch bonnet.
I've never seen a recipe that called for more than 1/2 of a habañero.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 26-09-2011, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nil wrote:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

I think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others.
The orange one and the little red ones are *VERY* hot.

Probably Thai, jalapeños, serrano, and habañero, or Scotch bonnet.
I've never seen a recipe that called for more than 1/2 of a habañero.

Serrano is a distinct possibility for #3.

-Bob

Old 26-09-2011, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 10:36*pm, Gunner wrote:
On Sep 24, 9:49*pm, Nil wrote:

An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone
identify their varieties?

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/peppers1.jpg

To beat the horse it a bit more, here are a few more databases:

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/database.html

http://www.thechileman.org/

http://www.reimerseeds.com/hot-peppe...tion_1367.aspx

There are so many varieties closely related that it is very difficult
to tell with any real certainty. Often the person planting them does
not know for sure even when from a reliable seed company as the names
are sometimes erroneous. In this case however, I do not believe the
large green one is an Ancho, but Brooklyn may be right about the red
being a Jalapeno varietal rather than a Fresno ( usually broader
shoulder and pointier than a Jalapeno), definitely not a Serrano.
However note tan striations are not always a sign of maturation in a
Jalapeno. Yet as he stated, chiles do cross easily. Cut the last one
to see the seed color, if they are black, it is one of the Rocotos
(rare here in US but they do grow well in cooler more temperate
climates than most chiles) if not, it is most likely one of the Habs/
SB, but definitely a Chinense.

If you have a batch of the Jalapeno try your hand at smoke drying
these to a chipotle or a chile ahumado. Its easier to control your
heat in dishes with the powder. If not familiar with this spice I
recommend you try it in a pot of beans. I believe it lends a better
taste than the Chipotle en adobo.

I usually cook to taste and then let the individual adjust to their
comfort level with other sauces. Nothing worse than swallowing a hot
coal and not being able to taste the rest of the dinner. For the Habs/
SB w/o the heat...DO NOT cut them, use them whole to get the flavor
and them fish out of the dish, the die-hards can then show their
bravado by biting into them.