Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Christopher

Default Food for Otos if no algae?

I have also heard this but all I have is the observation of the number of
leaves that floated to the top of my tank. I would get leaves (mostly my
jungle vals) that were 6" long and in perfect health that were floating to
the top. After removal of the snails I get far fewer leaves floating ot the
top.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Also I had problems with snails eating my plants,

It depends on what kind of snails you have, of course. But IME, most

snails
don't eat plants. If there's no other food in the tank, red ramhorns

might
nibble tender new leaves of Hygrophila, but in general, they prefer soft

food
like algae or dying leaves.

Columbian ramhorms (the big striped ones, 1" or more in diameter) do eat
plants. So do apple/mystery snails (except for Pomacea bridgesii, the

planted
tank keeper's best friend). But all the others I've kept -- pond snails,

red
ramshorns, MTS -- don't bother my plants at all.

Leigh