Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad Nad is offline

Default Some Spring for you

songbird wrote:

the wind was out of the south and that field is
south. too much dust in the air to be outside
in the garden harvesting the peas. we are
surrounded by soybeans this year except due east
is a field that is being taken over by poplars.
next year it will likely be corn. i'm waiting for
the armageddon when they actually plant something
different.

my own soybeans are a few weeks later than the
field soybeans. supposedly they were grown
organically before i planted them. they had a
different taste than the field beans i grew last
year so i'm hoping they'll turn out.

That's the normal around here, hay, soybeans and corn, nothing else. What
else can a single farmer grow with a combine? Except many of the farmers
around here get their seeds for free if they try different strains of
soybeans and corn. One good thing is that my closest neighbors just grow
hay for their own livestock. Dust is not a problem here, after harvest when
it starts to get cold the manure gets spread on the fields. Ah that not so
fresh air.... It is not that bad, cold weather really does keep the manure
oder down.

As for the farmers down the road one can see those bright red signs with
those numbers on each sign, knowing the numbers represents a strain of the
crop and I wonder about the cross pollination. For me they are over a mile
away. So Armageddon can wait.

Here I am in Michigan, no frost yet? Green grass, flowers still in bloom.
Eighty degrees today, still getting cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks.
Sitting here in my easy chair typing this message with a fan turn on me...
In October!

--
Enjoy Life... Nad