Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi Introducing my self

On 10/10/2011 02:24 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Jeff Layman wrote:
theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

May be easier said than done. I'd think the best bet would be to try
and find something web- or java-based.

But we have agreed in the past that only the expensive professional
programs are worth buying, the cheap stuff does not work that well.
Expensive programs normally do run on Linux as it's the default OS
choice of a lot of companies.

Heh. Would that it were so!

Firstly, Wine is a windows emulator that allows some but not all windows
programs to run under linux. For example my wife would like to run
Office 2010, but Wine does not support it (or didn't last I looked).

Linux is great for scientific, and various industrial applications. But
for anything mass markets Windows (and by an order of magnitude less
Mac) still retains a stranglehold.

I don't think it's accurate to say that "expensive programs normally do
run on Linux", but if there are _any_ garden design programs that do,
you'll be helping the OP out (and maybe me too).

cheers,

-E