Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Hi Introducing my self

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:42:24 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 10/10/2011 02:24 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Jeff Layman wrote:
theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

May be easier said than done. I'd think the best bet would be to try
and find something web- or java-based.

But we have agreed in the past that only the expensive professional
programs are worth buying, the cheap stuff does not work that well.
Expensive programs normally do run on Linux as it's the default OS
choice of a lot of companies.

Heh. Would that it were so!

Firstly, Wine is a windows emulator that allows some but not all windows
programs to run under linux. For example my wife would like to run
Office 2010, but Wine does not support it (or didn't last I looked).

Linux is great for scientific, and various industrial applications. But
for anything mass markets Windows (and by an order of magnitude less
Mac) still retains a stranglehold.

I don't think it's accurate to say that "expensive programs normally do
run on Linux", but if there are _any_ garden design programs that do,
you'll be helping the OP out (and maybe me too).

cheers,

-E

Made contact with my Linux guru who says he knows of nothing. Any
program that relies on .NET (which most modern Windows stuff does)
won't run under Wine.

There was some talk a while back of someone going on about developing
something to run on Ubuntu but nothing came of it AFAIK, though there
was a lot of interest.

Over the years I've looked at several "consumer" garden design
programs and, frankly, the Linux community isn't losing out on much!
The only real benefit of the Windows programs is a decent plant
database (if they have one).

My favoured approach has always been to take a photo out of an
upstairs window, print it out as big as I can (A3 if poss) and then
doodle all over it.

The current garden was designed entirely by moles. Virgin territory
meant waking up each morning to more mole hills. So I just laid out
paths and beds to match the hill pattern. Moles generally move out
when they're disturbed and the occasional interloper is now dealt with
very efficiently by the cat (who also takes care of next door's
occasional moles for a small treat). But I digress. I've never met a
mole that understands Linux (back on topic )

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk