Old 18-10-2011, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Green-Fingers@BadISP.gov is offline

Default Tree removal

Who_me? wrote:

On 17/10/2011 12:03 PM, wrote:
I've heard about ring-barking but that's a little too obvious for my
purposes. How can I kill a small, maybe 2 year-old, tree
surreptitiously in the dead of night. There's no surrounding
vegetation but whatever has to be done can't be an airborne spray nor
something obvious nor something that would injure other people (like
explosives). Ideally we're talking about an easily-available
swiftly-degradable poison. How about just plain boiling water into the
roots, or lacquer thinner, or alcohol?

At least this group is not dead as I thought it was.

It sounds as though you are trying to **** someone off.

Not really. The only people who might be ****ed off are some
tree-huggers or some parasites known as arborists but then what they
don't know nor see won't hurt them.

Killing any vegetation isn't hard, there are all sorts of chemicals
designed for exactly that purpose - without going to the extent of Agent
Orange. The various highway and main roads departments use them all the
time to control undergrowth adjoining roadways.

Names please? Where to buy?

However, I don't think you have the message. I'm not talking about
something like RoundUp which might (?) work but has to be sprayed on
the leaves. Note the original parameter: it can't be an airborne
spray.

You could always hitch it to the back of your car and simply tow it out
of the ground. That's always fun.

Ridiculous.

Have you seen the damage that was caused by Hurricane Irene? Huge
trees uprooted and crushing cars and other useful structures. Large
trunks simply broken in two. Like spiders, crocodiles, mosquitoes, and
other dangers to humanity, trees must be separated from us and
preferably placed in the country, not where they can destroy private
property such as automobiles, sewers, and sidewalks. Unfortunately
tree-huggers don't agree. I can't do anything about the overall
problem but I can do something about one tree that damages my car's
paint, slaps me in the face when I walk by, and I'm sure, is slowly
penetrating my sewer (or will in the next few years). Wouldn't it be
sad if it suddenly died?

One of you was right about one thing though: it's not two years old.
It was placed in the ground two or so years ago when it had a trunk
diameter of about 4 inches at the base. It's now about six inches and
12 feet high. It's hardy though. I put bags of sodium chloride and
magnesium chloride on it last winter and it still thrives. So much for
"sowing the fields of Carthage with salt". Professors of ancient
history don't know what they're talking about.

If you don't want to answer the question, that's your prerogative.