Old 17-10-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree removal

I've heard about ring-barking but that's a little too obvious for my
purposes. How can I kill a small, maybe 2 year-old, tree
surreptitiously in the dead of night. There's no surrounding
vegetation but whatever has to be done can't be an airborne spray nor
something obvious nor something that would injure other people (like
explosives). Ideally we're talking about an easily-available
swiftly-degradable poison. How about just plain boiling water into the
roots, or lacquer thinner, or alcohol?

Old 17-10-2011, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Who_me? wrote:
Stink-Fingers wrote:

I've heard about ring-barking but that's a little too obvious for my
purposes. How can I kill a small, maybe 2 year-old, tree
surreptitiously in the dead of night. There's no surrounding
vegetation but whatever has to be done can't be an airborne spray nor
something obvious nor something that would injure other people (like
explosives). Ideally we're talking about an easily-available
swiftly-degradable poison. How about just plain boiling water into the
roots, or lacquer thinner, or alcohol?

It sounds as though you are trying to **** someone off.

Stink Fingers sounds like a sneaky low life. Two years old is not a
tree, not even a sapling, it's a seedling, just pluck it out of the
ground.
Old 18-10-2011, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Who_me? wrote:

On 17/10/2011 12:03 PM, wrote:
I've heard about ring-barking but that's a little too obvious for my
purposes. How can I kill a small, maybe 2 year-old, tree
surreptitiously in the dead of night. There's no surrounding
vegetation but whatever has to be done can't be an airborne spray nor
something obvious nor something that would injure other people (like
explosives). Ideally we're talking about an easily-available
swiftly-degradable poison. How about just plain boiling water into the
roots, or lacquer thinner, or alcohol?

At least this group is not dead as I thought it was.

It sounds as though you are trying to **** someone off.

Not really. The only people who might be ****ed off are some
tree-huggers or some parasites known as arborists but then what they
don't know nor see won't hurt them.

Killing any vegetation isn't hard, there are all sorts of chemicals
designed for exactly that purpose - without going to the extent of Agent
Orange. The various highway and main roads departments use them all the
time to control undergrowth adjoining roadways.

Names please? Where to buy?

However, I don't think you have the message. I'm not talking about
something like RoundUp which might (?) work but has to be sprayed on
the leaves. Note the original parameter: it can't be an airborne
spray.

You could always hitch it to the back of your car and simply tow it out
of the ground. That's always fun.

Ridiculous.

Have you seen the damage that was caused by Hurricane Irene? Huge
trees uprooted and crushing cars and other useful structures. Large
trunks simply broken in two. Like spiders, crocodiles, mosquitoes, and
other dangers to humanity, trees must be separated from us and
preferably placed in the country, not where they can destroy private
property such as automobiles, sewers, and sidewalks. Unfortunately
tree-huggers don't agree. I can't do anything about the overall
problem but I can do something about one tree that damages my car's
paint, slaps me in the face when I walk by, and I'm sure, is slowly
penetrating my sewer (or will in the next few years). Wouldn't it be
sad if it suddenly died?

One of you was right about one thing though: it's not two years old.
It was placed in the ground two or so years ago when it had a trunk
diameter of about 4 inches at the base. It's now about six inches and
12 feet high. It's hardy though. I put bags of sodium chloride and
magnesium chloride on it last winter and it still thrives. So much for
"sowing the fields of Carthage with salt". Professors of ancient
history don't know what they're talking about.

If you don't want to answer the question, that's your prerogative.

Old 18-10-2011, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 17, 7:06*pm, wrote:
Who_me? wrote:
On 17/10/2011 12:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

If I wanted to kill a tree, such as Ailanthus altissima, for example,
an invasive weed, I would use a long pole and attach some rags or mop
head soaked in roundup to apply to the leaves within my reach. Use
your imagination.
Old 18-10-2011, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

writes:

Have you seen the damage that was caused by Hurricane Irene? Huge
trees uprooted and crushing cars and other useful structures. Large
trunks simply broken in two. Like spiders, crocodiles, mosquitoes, and
other dangers to humanity, trees must be separated from us and
preferably placed in the country, not where they can destroy private
property such as automobiles, sewers, and sidewalks. Unfortunately
tree-huggers don't agree. I can't do anything about the overall
problem but I can do something about one tree that damages my car's
paint, slaps me in the face when I walk by, and I'm sure, is slowly
penetrating my sewer (or will in the next few years). Wouldn't it be
sad if it suddenly died?

So, trees bad.

One of you was right about one thing though: it's not two years old.
It was placed in the ground two or so years ago when it had a trunk
diameter of about 4 inches at the base. It's now about six inches and
12 feet high. It's hardy though. I put bags of sodium chloride and
magnesium chloride on it last winter and it still thrives. So much for
"sowing the fields of Carthage with salt". Professors of ancient
history don't know what they're talking about.

So it's an expensive neighbors tree you are trying to kill.

If you don't want to answer the question, that's your prerogative.

I'll pass.

--
Dan Espen
Old 30-10-2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 18/10/2011 12:06 PM, wrote:
wrote:

On 17/10/2011 12:03 PM,
wrote:
[...]

What has hurricane Irene to do with towing a two year old tree out of
the ground? A tree that young will uproot quite easily. I have done it a
number of times, it is easier than cutting it back and digging the stump
out. Much easier.

I assume that as you find the suggestion ridiculous that you are trying
to kill a tree that is not yours. If the reason is because of root
damage to drains (unlikely in a tree that young) then protect your
drains. Dig a narrow trench between your drains and the tree and
sprinkle Copper Sulphide Pentahydrate into it. No roots will grown
through it.

Huge
trees uprooted and crushing cars and other useful structures. Large
trunks simply broken in two. Like spiders, crocodiles, mosquitoes, and
other dangers to humanity, trees must be separated from us and
preferably placed in the country, not where they can destroy private
property such as automobiles, sewers, and sidewalks. Unfortunately
tree-huggers don't agree. I can't do anything about the overall
problem but I can do something about one tree that damages my car's
paint, slaps me in the face when I walk by,

Most people are a tad smarter than you it would seem, they can avoid
tree branches.

and I'm sure, is slowly
penetrating my sewer

Is that a euphemism for a Gay fantasy?

(or will in the next few years). Wouldn't it be
sad if it suddenly died?

You are an asshole and you really want to hope that your neighbour isn't
like me, or have friends like me. I would take it very seriously if
someone killed one of my trees, and I would exact revenge.

The last time a neighbour really ****ed me off he moved a year or so
later. He didn't want to but after his wife found out about the affair
he was TRYING to start with a woman where he worked, plus was informed
that the credit card payments to a health club were actually to a
brothel, and divorced him, he had little choice. I spent many months
taking delight in making his life miserable. His car's motor was
destroyed when the sump plug fell out while he was on the freeway - he
was too dumb to stop until the bearings started to disintegrate. Funny
thing, a week or two after he had his motor rebuilt it failed again.
Almost as though someone had drained half the oil out and replaced it
with Kerosene. I never did find out why the company who rebuilt the
engine refused to accept it as damage covered by warranty.

His boss got the idea that he was applying for jobs with competition
companies. His wife got copies of all his email. His female workmates
(the attractive ones) got gifts of very sexy underwear along with
suggestive cards - all bought and mailed from an on-line source using
his credit card details. I think that the black eye I saw him sporting
not long before he moved might have been from one of their husbands.

Yes, you really want to hope that your tree owning neighbour is not a
vengeful ******* like me. Of course I hope that he is.
Old 31-10-2011, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Who_me? wrote:

On 18/10/2011 12:06 PM, wrote:
wrote:

On 17/10/2011 12:03 PM,
wrote:

You could always hitch it to the back of your car and simply tow it out
of the ground. That's always fun.

Ridiculous.

Have you seen the damage that was caused by Hurricane Irene?

What has hurricane Irene to do with towing a two year old tree out of
the ground? A tree that young will uproot quite easily. I have done it a
number of times, it is easier than cutting it back and digging the stump
out. Much easier.

I just want to kill the tree. As long as it's dead the remains can
stay in the ground.

I assume that as you find the suggestion ridiculous that you are trying
to kill a tree that is not yours. If the reason is because of root
damage to drains (unlikely in a tree that young) then protect your
drains.

Oh really. Someone damages my property (or potentially damages it in
the future) and I have to spend money to protect my property?
Shouldn't it be the other person who digs the trench and pays for it?
And who keeps it trimmed so that it neither hits persons nor cars. And
replaces the sidewalk if the tree breaks it up. And pays for any
damage to houses or motor vehicles. Maybe if they had the
consideration to not plant a tree where it will damage my property
they wouldn't have to do any of this.

Dig a narrow trench between your drains and the tree and
sprinkle Copper Sulphide Pentahydrate into it. No roots will grown
through it.

Perhaps a little trench around the tree base would solve the problem
permanently.

Huge
trees uprooted and crushing cars and other useful structures. Large
trunks simply broken in two. Like spiders, crocodiles, mosquitoes, and
other dangers to humanity, trees must be separated from us and
preferably placed in the country, not where they can destroy private
property such as automobiles, sewers, and sidewalks. Unfortunately
tree-huggers don't agree. I can't do anything about the overall
problem but I can do something about one tree that damages my car's
paint, slaps me in the face when I walk by,

Most people are a tad smarter than you it would seem, they can avoid
tree branches.

You don't anticipate encountering a tree branch at head height while
walking along a sidewalk. Of course you ignore all the other problems
I mentioned.

and I'm sure, is slowly
penetrating my sewer

Is that a euphemism for a Gay fantasy?

Very amusing.

snip

Yes, you really want to hope that your tree owning neighbour is not a
vengeful ******* like me. Of course I hope that he is.

I very much doubt it. Anyway it's not an individual.

There's actually lots of information on the net about how to kill a
tree. This winter ultra salt and even a little auger-dug hole next to
the tree packed with the stuff for a start.

To the NG people, thanks for your helpful comments, all of you. No
wonder usenet is dying.