Old 20-10-2011, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Pumpkins

On Oct 20, 1:51*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Emery Davis" *wrote in ...

On 10/20/2011 12:11 PM, wrote:

I've just been thinking of how the frost will be improving my sprouts,
and
realised I've left the pumpkins out in the cold.

Will it be impossible to store them now if they're frost damaged?

I don't think frost damages pumpkins. *In fact, wasn't there an old
country western song?

Frost on the puuumpkin,
Mud on the plough.
I'm just a buuumpkin,
She's just a cow...

OK, I made up the last 2 lines.

I grew 4 pumpkin plants this year and limited each plants to one fruit. The
3 that have turned a nice yellow have been lifted, but all 4 are quite
small, probably 1/3rd the weight of the parent. These were seed saved from a
monster purchased from Morrisons last October. Puzzling as the soil is good
and they were fed 3 times on Growmore.- Hide quoted text -

The trade reports this year say that pumpkins are smaller than normmal
due to the weather.
Dont wory, it's not just you.