Old 24-10-2011, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default 2 climbers need ID

In article ,
Janet wrote:

In article , lid says...

On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The second one (14474) might be wisteria.

No, the second one is jasmine officinale, scented white or pinkish
flowers in summer. In mild climates it's a rampantly exuberant climber so
the OP needn't worry about the builder damage :-)
There's also a lovely but less common creamy version called Clotted
Cream, which IME produces more and larger flowers than the white one. In
my garden both took a couple of years to get into their stride for regular
flowering, but once they settled in they flower 6 months of the year.

The first looks like Campsis radicans.