Old 23-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Ornamental plant or weed?

Hi, this rather pretty plant with slim silvery leaves just appeared between strawberries in my garden. I wonder if it is a weed or some interesting plant worth keeping?
Attached Thumbnails
Ornamental plant or weed?-dsc_0989a.jpg
Old 23-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber123 View Post
Hi, this rather pretty plant with slim silvery leaves just appeared between strawberries in my garden. I wonder if it is a weed or some interesting plant worth keeping?
Hi Amber, its a Buddleja seedling, now some may call this a weed ?? but it depends on your definition of a weed ?? I think you will find that if you let it grow, its odds on to be a pale blue, which im sure your familiar with living in London !!
Lannerman.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Amber, its a Buddleja seedling, now some may call this a weed ?? but it depends on your definition of a weed ?? I think you will find that if you let it grow, its odds on to be a pale blue, which im sure your familiar with living in London !!
Lannerman.
You are right, I know the plant, although honestly I have never paid attention to the leaves (so much to look at at the flowers, all these butterflies!). I have realised that I even photographed it once:
West Ham station | 06 Aug 2007 | theme: UK - London | photoblog by _Monika_
Now good question is how the seeds ended up in my garden, none of the neighbours have it. But I will keep it for su)
Old 24-10-2011, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default 2 climbers need ID

On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The second one (14474) might be wisteria. Wisteria is a very vigorous
climber. Someone planted one about 50 miles east of me. Soon, it
covered his house. With permission from his neighbors, it eventually
covered five adjacent houses. Now the town has an annual wisteria
festival. Go to the following Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=wisteria+%22sierra+madre%22&hl=en.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 24-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber123 View Post
Now good question is how the seeds ended up in my garden, none of the neighbours have it. But I will keep it for su)
Buddleja get everywhere. I think the seeds blow in the wind. Naturally they grow in cracks on cliff faces, so they need some such mechanism to get their seeds to the appropriate place. Your neighbours probably weed it out, if they have any sense.

Old 24-10-2011, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Janet wrote:

In article , lid says...

On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The second one (14474) might be wisteria.

No, the second one is jasmine officinale, scented white or pinkish
flowers in summer. In mild climates it's a rampantly exuberant climber so
the OP needn't worry about the builder damage :-)
There's also a lovely but less common creamy version called Clotted
Cream, which IME produces more and larger flowers than the white one. In
my garden both took a couple of years to get into their stride for regular
flowering, but once they settled in they flower 6 months of the year.

The first looks like Campsis radicans.
Old 25-10-2011, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 7:28*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

[...]

* Janet

You've got that right.
But Its scent is too strong for me.
Have you ever tried 'jasmine tea' that has contained this very flower?
This one is just right as a tea. i like it.
It is mainly favored by Chinese people.

Ono
Old 25-10-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 24/10/2011 19:46, Amos Nomore wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The first looks like Campsis radicans.

It does look like a Campsis to me, too.

If so, be aware that Campsis can be invasive. It spreads underground
far from the main plant, suddenly appearing in lawns, borders, paths,
and even through weedproof membranes.

--

Jeff
Old 29-10-2011, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 23, 7:30*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

***Endorse that. The giant Wisteria vine in Sierra Madre is well
worth the trip up the mountain to the annual festival. Lots of
associated activities and family fun.
l.
***Sierra Madre has somehow maintained a heart-warming "small town"
community flavor.

HB