Old 25-10-2011, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Re-designing a garden kneeler

On 10/24/11 12:19 PM, PhilV wrote:
Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product
Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/
problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that
you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated,
thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

I have a kneeler that, turned upside-down, is also a bench. I love it,
but I can see a need for improvements.

As a kneeler, there is a foam pad for my knees. It is held in place by
small strips of Velcro, with one side stuck to the unit and one side
stuck to the pad. This pad sometimes comes loose when the kneeler is
being used as a bench. The pad needs to have better fastening to the
unit.

I am near the weight limit for sitting on the bench. It should be
stronger, enough to hold someone as heavy as 300 poinds (about 20% more
than I weigh).

The instructions warned about standing on the bench. I stand on it
anyway. I don't know if I am at risk of exceeding the bench's design
limit. It should be designed for someone to stand on it.

My kneeler is shown at http://www.step2.com/p/Garden-Kneeler-Seat.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see