Old 25-10-2011, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ono[_2_] Ono[_2_] is offline

Default 2 climbers need ID

On Oct 24, 7:28*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:
Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The second one (14474) might be wisteria.

*No, the second one is jasmine officinale, scented white or pinkish
flowers in summer. In mild climates it's a rampantly exuberant climber so
the OP needn't worry about the builder damage :-)
* There's also a lovely but less common creamy version called Clotted
Cream, which IME produces more and larger flowers than the white one. In
my garden both took a couple of years to get into their stride for regular
flowering, but once they settled in they flower 6 months of the year.

* Janet

You've got that right.
But Its scent is too strong for me.
Have you ever tried 'jasmine tea' that has contained this very flower?
This one is just right as a tea. i like it.
It is mainly favored by Chinese people.

Ono