Old 27-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Blackfingers Blackfingers is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
On 10/26/11 5:30 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/26/11 10:54 AM, Blackfingers wrote:
Hello everyone, nice to be here.

I think I have some Japanese Knotweed but am not sure.
I have been googling images of it but it's not quite the same as what it
in my garden.

The stems are red, a very deep red with no other colour or shading
whatsoever. They are not bamboo like (no line around the stem where
each leaf stems off), where the leaves appear it's smooth and
uninterrupted along the entire length. The stems are more woody,
sapling-like and not hollow.

It has not flowered at all.

The leaves are heart shaped and quite large, but are now taking on the
weathered and damaged appearance of a dock leaf.

I spotted this plant several months ago and is has not grown much at all
since.

It's longest stem is about 4ft.

I would post a pic but it's dark now.

Any clues anyone?

Your description sounds like Persicaria capitata, which is also commonly
called a knotweed and used to be classified as Polygonum capitatum.
Another common name is pink clover although the leaves are not
clover-like at all; this name comes from flowers, which resemble pink
versions of white clover.

[my prior text snipped]

I just saw the links to your photos in another thread. No, that is
definitely NOT Persicaria capitata.

Why did you start a discussion about a different plant in the thread
about your vines?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see