Old 26-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered User

Default Japenese Knotweed or not?

Hello everyone, nice to be here.

I think I have some Japanese Knotweed but am not sure.
I have been googling images of it but it's not quite the same as what it in my garden.

The stems are red, a very deep red with no other colour or shading whatsoever. They are not bamboo like (no line around the stem where each leaf stems off), where the leaves appear it's smooth and uninterrupted along the entire length. The stems are more woody, sapling-like and not hollow.

It has not flowered at all.

The leaves are heart shaped and quite large, but are now taking on the weathered and damaged appearance of a dock leaf.

I spotted this plant several months ago and is has not grown much at all since.

It's longest stem is about 4ft.

I would post a pic but it's dark now.

Any clues anyone?
Old 26-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfingers View Post
Hello everyone, nice to be here.

I think I have some Japanese Knotweed but am not sure.
I have been googling images of it but it's not quite the same as what it in my garden.

The stems are red, a very deep red with no other colour or shading whatsoever. They are not bamboo like (no line around the stem where each leaf stems off), where the leaves appear it's smooth and uninterrupted along the entire length. The stems are more woody, sapling-like and not hollow.

It has not flowered at all.

The leaves are heart shaped and quite large, but are now taking on the weathered and damaged appearance of a dock leaf.

I spotted this plant several months ago and is has not grown much at all since.

It's longest stem is about 4ft.

I would post a pic but it's dark now.

Any clues anyone?
Hi Blackfingers, without a photo its difficult to say what you have ? but if the stems are not hollow and they are upto 4ft tall, then its not Japanese Knotweed. any chance of a picture when its light ??
regards Lannerman.
Old 27-10-2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/26/11 10:54 AM, Blackfingers wrote:
Hello everyone, nice to be here.

I think I have some Japanese Knotweed but am not sure.
I have been googling images of it but it's not quite the same as what it
in my garden.

The stems are red, a very deep red with no other colour or shading
whatsoever. They are not bamboo like (no line around the stem where
each leaf stems off), where the leaves appear it's smooth and
uninterrupted along the entire length. The stems are more woody,
sapling-like and not hollow.

It has not flowered at all.

The leaves are heart shaped and quite large, but are now taking on the
weathered and damaged appearance of a dock leaf.

I spotted this plant several months ago and is has not grown much at all
since.

It's longest stem is about 4ft.

I would post a pic but it's dark now.

Any clues anyone?

Your description sounds like Persicaria capitata, which is also commonly
called a knotweed and used to be classified as Polygonum capitatum.
Another common name is pink clover although the leaves are not
clover-like at all; this name comes from flowers, which resemble pink
versions of white clover.

It does look forlorn as the weather gets cold but does not get truly
dormant until the temperature drops below freezing. The plant itself
(stems and roots) should be hardy to about 15F. In cold weather (above
freezing), the leaves turn red; they will return to green in the spring.

P. capitata can be quite drought tolerant, but it will accept regular
watering. It is also tolerant of part-shade although it does best in
full sun except in the hotest climates.

My front lawn and my rose bed in back are planted with P. capitata. It
forms a dense mat about 2-4 inches thick, so dense that very few weeds
will grow in it. I need to trim the edges of where it grows about 2-3
times a year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 27-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Blackfingers, without a photo its difficult to say what you have ? but if the stems are not hollow and they are upto 4ft tall, then its not Japanese Knotweed. any chance of a picture when its light ??
regards Lannerman.
Here are some pics

Old 27-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered User

Co-indidentally there was a feature on Japenese Knotweed on The One Show just after I posted this thread.
Looking at the footage, these seem to be different stages. A young version where the stems are very red and slim (like the plant in my garden) and then it starts to appear bamboo like.

Confused, yes.

It is a very small patch, but we are planning on building extension on that land and need to know if there is anything in there that will potentially damage our plans/building.

Thank-you for looking

Old 27-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered User

Thank-you, but I don't think it's Persicaria capitata as it has not flowered at all.
I googled it, nice plant.

I have posted some pics which might help.

Thank-you
Old 27-10-2011, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Blackfingers said:

lannerman;940310 Wrote:
Hi Blackfingers, without a photo its difficult to say what you have ?
but if the stems are not hollow and they are upto 4ft tall, then its not
Japanese Knotweed. any chance of a picture when its light ??
regards Lannerman.

Here are some pics

[image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oth/mysterypla
nt2.jpg]

[image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oth/mysterypla
nt1.jpg]

Probably Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea). Some sort of dogwood,
at least.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-10-2011, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
, Pat
Kiewicz writes
Blackfingers said:

lannerman;940310 Wrote:
Hi Blackfingers, without a photo its difficult to say what you have ?
but if the stems are not hollow and they are upto 4ft tall, then its not
Japanese Knotweed. any chance of a picture when its light ??
regards Lannerman.

Here are some pics

[image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oth/mysterypla
nt2.jpg]

[image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...oth/mysterypla
nt1.jpg]

Probably Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea). Some sort of dogwood,
at least.

I'm not sure. It's clearly not Fallopia japonica (Japanese knotweed),
but while it looks rather Cornus-like, the leaf veins of Cornus sericea
(and Cornus sanguinea) are usually more swept forwards. I'd go for some
other sort of dogwood.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-10-2011, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/26/11 5:30 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

[my prior text snipped]

I just saw the links to your photos in another thread. No, that is
definitely NOT Persicaria capitata.

Why did you start a discussion about a different plant in the thread
about your vines?

Old 27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfingers View Post
Here are some pics

Hi Blackfingers, yes, I agree its a Cornus (dogwood) a shrub grown for its winter stem colour. To get the best colour, cut it down to 6" in late winter, thus encouraging lots of fresh new shoots.
Lannerman.

Old 27-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
[...]

My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
Hello,
Thank-you for your input.
As far as I know I haven't started any other discussions .......
Old 27-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Blackfingers, yes, I agree its a Cornus (dogwood) a shrub grown for its winter stem colour. To get the best colour, cut it down to 6" in late winter, thus encouraging lots of fresh new shoots.
Lannerman.
Thank-you. I'll do that as the red stems really are stunning.