Old 28-10-2011, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Hot Pepper Insecticide

"The Cook" wrote in message
Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

I haven't had much luck with hot peppers as an insecticide, but they do work
well for the four-legged pests. For years I had a huge problem with rabbits
eating my sweet potato vines. I put a handful of dried chilies(cayenne I
think) in the blender with a couple of cups of hot water and processed for a
couple of minutes. The resulting mix was strained through an old t-shirt,
diluted to 1 gallon and sprayed on the potato vines. There was no more
noticeable damage until after the next rain. You could add a couple of drops
of liquid soap (Ivory, not detergent) to help it stick. It works for deer as
well. For now just dry the pepper trimmings for use next year.
Hope this helps,
Steve