Old 29-10-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default No hijacks here ........... bug repellent

Steve B wrote:
In another thread, there's mention of making a hot pepper insecticide.
Since it wouldn't kill the insects, but just get them to leave the
plant alone, does that make it an insecticide which "cide" infers
death?
Minor point, now to the major one.

When I lived in Louisiana, the bug capitol of the Universe, I learned
the following recipe for "bug repellent" from an old Cajun.

Get a plug of "Days Work" tobacco, if you can find it in your area. If
not, any leaf chewing tobacco will work. Day's Work was way cheap
back then (1970's) and it was sold everywhere.

Get some Dawn dishwashing solution.

Get some mouthwash.

Boil about one cubic inch of Day's work in a quart of water for about
ten minutes. Let cool.

Get a gallon milk jug.

Strain the quart of Day's Work tea into your gallon jug through a
panty hose and funnel to remove the things that will clog up your
empty Windex sprayer.
Add 1 tbsp. Dawn.

Add 6 fl. oz. of ANY mouthwash.

Add enough water to fill the gallon jug.

Put into an old Windex or any hand sprayer (guess you could make
gallons and use a big pump sprayer), and spray your plants.

When I had lots of aphids, you could actually see the aphids HOP OFF
THE PLANT within 30 seconds while I was standing there.

This stuff stays on the plant for a good while. If it is absorbed
into the plant, it is nothing that will harm you if you ingest it.

This is false.

It can be sprayed on the ground for cutworms, and things that crawl
up from the bottom. You can spray it on flowering plants, plants
with developing fruit. You can actually spray it on your lawn.

GOOD, CHEAP STUFF. It works! And it works reeeeeeeeal good.

Yer welcome.

Steve

This will work alright as you are spraying with nicotine which is quite
poisonous. Do not ingest this liquid, especially the concentrate.

Just because it comes from tobacco, arguably a natural product, does NOT
mean that it is safe for humans or pets.

See he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

"Nicotine poisoning describes the symptoms of the toxic effects of consuming
nicotine, which can potentially be deadly. Historically, most cases of
nicotine poisoning have been the result of use of nicotine as an
insecticide."

David