Old 29-10-2011, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default 2 climbers need ID

On Oct 23, 7:30*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 10/23/11 12:57 PM, Amber123 wrote:

Hi,
I am new here and I hope you can help me to solve mystery of 2 climber
plants I have in my garden. I have 'inherited' both of them from the
former house owner and unfortunately they were cut severely in early
spring by a builder working on fence repairs. I think this is the reason
why none of them flowered in the summer. I am sending pictures attached
- maybe you will be able to identify them? They seem to have recovered
quite well and spread on the fence. I wonder if I should keep them or
replace with other climber of my choice?

|Filename: DSC_0984a.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14473|
|Filename: DSC_0988a.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14474|

The second one (14474) might be wisteria. *Wisteria is a very vigorous
climber. *Someone planted one about 50 miles east of me. *Soon, it
covered his house. *With permission from his neighbors, it eventually
covered five adjacent houses. *Now the town has an annual wisteria
festival. *Go to the following Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=wisteria+%22sierra+madre%22&hl=en.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

***Endorse that. The giant Wisteria vine in Sierra Madre is well
worth the trip up the mountain to the annual festival. Lots of
associated activities and family fun.
l.
***Sierra Madre has somehow maintained a heart-warming "small town"
community flavor.

HB