Old 29-10-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve B[_6_] Steve B[_6_] is offline

Default No hijacks here ........... bug repellent

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message
. au...

"songbird" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

In another thread, there's mention of making a hot pepper insecticide.
Since it wouldn't kill the insects, but just get them to leave the plant
alone, does that make it an insecticide which "cide" infers death?

Minor point, now to the major one.

When I lived in Louisiana, the bug capitol of the Universe, I learned
the
following recipe for "bug repellent" from an old Cajun.

Get a plug of "Days Work" tobacco, if you can find it in your area. If
not,
any leaf chewing tobacco will work. Day's Work was way cheap back then
(1970's) and it was sold everywhere.

Get some Dawn dishwashing solution.

Get some mouthwash.

Boil about one cubic inch of Day's work in a quart of water for about
ten
minutes. Let cool.

i seem to recall there being some tobacco
diseases that you'd not like spread to a garden?

am i mistaken in this?

songbird

You may be thinking of tobacco mosaic
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/dg1168.html which
can harm plenty of garden plants. Although I do not know if its going to
survive the processing done here. I would still be aware of the nicotine
content though.

Mike

If concerned, the nicotine content can be easily lessened by using less
tobacco. It don't take much.

Steve