Old 30-10-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bulb newbie advice

On 10/30/11 1:51 AM, gary lacey wrote:
Hi, we decided to plant some bulbs this year so we bought some bluebells
tulips and daffs from Wilkinsons. All the tulips and bluebell bulbs were
singular but some of the daff bulbs had the main bulb with two smaller
ones coming off of the sides. Is it possible to take the smaller ones
off and plant these on their own or would this be harmful to the main
bulb? If left on the main bulb would they also produce a flower? Any
tips or advice appreciated.

I strongly recommend leaving the smaller bulbs attached to the main
bulb. The smaller ones will likely not bloom this coming spring, but
they will then develop into full-sized bulbs for the spring of 2013.

The mail problem is that you must split the smaller bulbs from the
larger ones very carefully. Part of the base plate -- from which roots
grow -- must remain with each bulb. However, splitting smaller bulbs
from the main one often leaves the base plate only with the main one, in
which case the smaller bulbs die.

Divide the bulbs when they seem not to bloom as profusely as they did
the previous year. At that time, side bulbs that separate easily --
with part of the base plate -- can be separated. You will also find
that the side bulbs from this year's planting are already separated.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see