Old 30-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of wight
Default Bulb newbie advice

Hi, we decided to plant some bulbs this year so we bought some bluebells tulips and daffs from Wilkinsons. All the tulips and bluebell bulbs were singular but some of the daff bulbs had the main bulb with two smaller ones coming off of the sides. Is it possible to take the smaller ones off and plant these on their own or would this be harmful to the main bulb? If left on the main bulb would they also produce a flower? Any tips or advice appreciated.
__________________
Garden tool buying advice, maintenance & general tips http://www.gardentoolslist.com
Old 30-10-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/30/11 1:51 AM, gary lacey wrote:
Hi, we decided to plant some bulbs this year so we bought some bluebells
tulips and daffs from Wilkinsons. All the tulips and bluebell bulbs were
singular but some of the daff bulbs had the main bulb with two smaller
ones coming off of the sides. Is it possible to take the smaller ones
off and plant these on their own or would this be harmful to the main
bulb? If left on the main bulb would they also produce a flower? Any
tips or advice appreciated.

I strongly recommend leaving the smaller bulbs attached to the main
bulb. The smaller ones will likely not bloom this coming spring, but
they will then develop into full-sized bulbs for the spring of 2013.

The mail problem is that you must split the smaller bulbs from the
larger ones very carefully. Part of the base plate -- from which roots
grow -- must remain with each bulb. However, splitting smaller bulbs
from the main one often leaves the base plate only with the main one, in
which case the smaller bulbs die.

Divide the bulbs when they seem not to bloom as profusely as they did
the previous year. At that time, side bulbs that separate easily --
with part of the base plate -- can be separated. You will also find
that the side bulbs from this year's planting are already separated.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-10-2011, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

gary lacey wrote:

Hi, we decided to plant some bulbs this year so we bought some bluebells
tulips and daffs from Wilkinsons. All the tulips and bluebell bulbs were
singular but some of the daff bulbs had the main bulb with two smaller
ones coming off of the sides. Is it possible to take the smaller ones
off and plant these on their own or would this be harmful to the main
bulb? If left on the main bulb would they also produce a flower? Any
tips or advice appreciated.

the smaller daffodil bulbs may or may not
flower, but i'd not break them off. they
look better when grown in clumps instead of
the lone daffodil.

after a few seasons you will have a large
enough clump to pull up and divide, by then
you can study what you need to do. it's
not that hard, no worries.

songbird
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of wight

Many Thanks for the indepth replies David & Songbird.
Garden tool buying advice, maintenance & general tips http://www.gardentoolslist.com