Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
clare92 clare92 is offline
Registered User

Default New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:

Sorry to repeat what may have been posted before, I've been researching online how to help my orchid get healthy again but I'd like advice specific to my orchid.

I have never cared for an orchid (or really a plant!) before, but I understand the basics of how to care for them. My boyfriend bought me an orchid which I have now had about a month - but it is looking poorly! It is a Phalaenopsis.

I'm watering it once a week, though in the second week I definitely gave it too much water and drained in by tipping the pot gently. This was the next day as I saw the water was sitting on the orchid, which I know is pretty bad as orchids are meant to almost dry out before you water them again. I also have a drip feeder which is supposed to last months, and I have two spares as back up.

I've now moved my orchid closer to the window, it wasn't in a dark place before but I thought more direct light might help.

The leaves are still green, strong, waxy and healthy. And the tall green plant stems seem healthy as well. However, the spikes and browning and the buds are falling off. I know orchids drop their blooms and the spikes brown but I'm concerned as some of the roots at the bottom have come out of the soil and they are brown and look dead. Also there seems to be something white and moist in the soil of the pots, although not a lot.

Most websites suggest repotting but this seems to be for orchids that have looked like they are dying after a while, whereas I have only had my plant a month.

In addition, does anybody know a good website for me to order the right things to repot my plant in? I live in a city centre without a car so garden centres are quite far away.

I have posted some pictures.

I'm really quite worried about my orchid, I really appreciate any help!
Attached Thumbnails
New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-078.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-079.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-080.jpg   New orchid owner, plant already dying. ]:-iphone-again-081.jpg