Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Hops

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:30:16 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?

From a quick google search, looks like there's a bread recipe.

Beer is liquid bread!
On your hops question, I'm in USDA 5B (Southern Ontario, Canada) but
only at about 1000' elevation.
When I was brewing my own I had 5 different varieties growing on
trellises and they did exceptionally well here. The bines easily
topped out their 14' trellises and kept on growing.
They will spread via underground runners and are very easy to
propagate that way.
I did try ''wet hopping'' but IMO, they don't work well for beer when
freshly picked and must be dried.
You can supposedly make a very effective sleep pillow using hops but I
found when using them to brew beer, the end product was also a very
good sleep aid.

Ross.