Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Pine nuts.

DogDiesel wrote:

I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

if they are raw then it depends upon how they
are stored if i would worry about them. don't
keep them in plastic bags or glass jars. a few
years ago i'd picked a few lbs and forgot to
put them in a paper bag. they rotted. arg!

perhaps that was the trouble? did you have
them in a plastic bag where they could have
started to spoil?

songbird