Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Pine nuts.

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No
big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them
in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No
problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled
first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and
have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of
illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...th/infectious-
diseases/articles/2011/10/31/health-buzz-wegmans-recalls-pine-nuts-over-
salmonella-concerns

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/1...nuts-outbreak-
with-revised-numbers/

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm278732.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/health...all/index.html

Could Giant Eagle have gotten the pine nuts from Sunrise Commodities?

Again, thanks.

This is from one of the links. But there's no Wegmans in Ohio. The
container said must boil first. But I kept trying to figure out why. So
I screwed up. I'm working on day 5 now. And I'm about 80%. I'm eating a
little. I had some grilled veggies last night and a bit of heinens chicken
paprika's. Two cups of Hot tea this morning was awesome. I guess its
salmonella . It took about 3 days to start. And nailed me fast. I went to
work on day 2 and froze all night. Completely exhausted. With the heat all
the way up so nobody could stand it. I'm almost over it.
The salmonella bacteria can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to
72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, the
FDA said. While most people recover without treatment, infection may lead to
hospitalization and can be fatal. The bacteria is most dangerous to older
adults, infants and those with compromised immune systems, the FDA said.

Thanks, Diesel.