Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recalcitrant edging

On 11/8/11 6:22 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's picture of edging I just bought. Manufactured wood. It is
very hard to rassle. I unrolled it with difficulty and pinned it down
with heavy bricks until it more or less straightened out, but it will
still be difficult to bend around the curves at the end of the bed.

http://tinyurl.com/d59ohcg

Does anyone have experience with these? Should I pour hot water on to
make it more malleable? Or?

TIA

HB

When my back yard was redone, the landscape contractor used some kind of
manufactured edging. For broad, gentle curves, he nailed the edging to
stakes driven into the ground 2-3 feet apart. For sharp bends, he cut
the edging and nailed adjacent ends of the two pieces to stakes.

I discovered long ago how to nail edging to stakes. You place a sledge
hammer lying down with the head against the stake and the handle
pointing away from the edging. Stand with one foot on the handle of the
sledge hammer. Drive the nails from the edging into the stake. the
sledge hammer and you standing on its handle will keep the stake steady
while the nails are being driven.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see