Old 09-11-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recalcitrant edging

Here's picture of edging I just bought. Manufactured wood. It is
very hard to rassle. I unrolled it with difficulty and pinned it down
with heavy bricks until it more or less straightened out, but it will
still be difficult to bend around the curves at the end of the bed.

http://tinyurl.com/d59ohcg

Does anyone have experience with these? Should I pour hot water on to
make it more malleable? Or?

TIA

HB
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/8/11 6:22 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's picture of edging I just bought. Manufactured wood. It is
very hard to rassle. I unrolled it with difficulty and pinned it down
with heavy bricks until it more or less straightened out, but it will
still be difficult to bend around the curves at the end of the bed.

http://tinyurl.com/d59ohcg

Does anyone have experience with these? Should I pour hot water on to
make it more malleable? Or?

TIA

HB

When my back yard was redone, the landscape contractor used some kind of
manufactured edging. For broad, gentle curves, he nailed the edging to
stakes driven into the ground 2-3 feet apart. For sharp bends, he cut
the edging and nailed adjacent ends of the two pieces to stakes.

I discovered long ago how to nail edging to stakes. You place a sledge
hammer lying down with the head against the stake and the handle
pointing away from the edging. Stand with one foot on the handle of the
sledge hammer. Drive the nails from the edging into the stake. the
sledge hammer and you standing on its handle will keep the stake steady
while the nails are being driven.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 8, 7:59*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

***Thank you, but my situation is a little different. I am my own
"contractor", and the area to be partially circumscribed is limited. I
am looking for ways to "soften" in order to be able to manipulate the
stiff and "recalcitrant" edging to make it conform to the small
rectangular bed to be edged. I will be reusing the metal stakes from
earlier borders.

Anybody else?

TIA

HB

Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Nov 9, 12:14*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I think the idea of heat is a good one. Hot water, sun, blow dryer of
better a heat gun. You will have to work quick and do small sections
at a time so it is going to take a while. Let us know how it goes
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

I am looking for ways to "soften" in order to be able to manipulate the
stiff and "recalcitrant" edging to make it conform to the small
rectangular bed to be edged.

For a *rectangular* bed why are you bothering with "free-form" type
edging? Seems to me a trip to the lumber yard for some landscpape
ties is in order. Instead of an image of that fercocktah product post
a picture of the bed you want edged. In my experience free-form type
edging doesn't work for straight lines, no matter how many pegs are
used it always ends up crooked. And if you live where the ground
freezes no flexible edging works.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 9, 5:02*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

I am looking for ways to "soften" in order to be able to *manipulate the
stiff and "recalcitrant" edging to make it conform to the small
rectangular bed to be edged.

For a *rectangular* bed why are you bothering with "free-form" type
edging? *Seems to me a trip to the lumber yard for some landscpape
ties is in order. *Instead of an image of that fercocktah product post
a picture of the bed you want edged. *In my experience free-form type
edging doesn't work for straight lines, no matter how many pegs are
used it always ends up crooked. *And if you live where the ground
freezes no flexible edging works.

***NOW you tell me! G I had zero experience with this stuff.
Grrr...

Actually I did have wood boards around the bed, but threw them out
while redoing the entire area. They were rotted from underneath
anyway. However, I do have manufactured boards that I took up from
another bed, so maybe I'll use them along with their stakes. They are
taller than the unobtrusive edging that I posted earlier, so will have
to sink them lower, as I'm not aiming for a raised bed.

http://www.frameitall.com/cptwgt.html

Guess I can use up the "recalcitrant" edging along some straight beds
in front, ***but how the hell do I store it till I get to the
project.*** If I roll it back up, will run into the same
straightening problem. Grrr...

HB
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

I would cut that coil into 10' lengths and stack them flat in a
shed/garage with some weight to hold them down. One day you'll
discover a project to use them but meanwhile forget they exist... or
pack it into its wrapping and return it to the store and get your
money back.

[IMG] code is On

cobblestones for edging EHMAXEY North Carolina 2 07-04-2003 05:33 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Pond edging plants Steve Jackson United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 09:33 PM
Log roll edging Will United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:32 AM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM